Abbot Primate Gregory J. Polan, OSB, and the abbots president of the congregations that constitute the Benedictine Confederation met together from 29 August – 2 September 2022 at the Monastery of St. Scholastica in Subiaco, Italy, for their annual synod.
During the course of this meeting, the abbot primate and abbots president examined various issues impacting the Church and the Benedictine Confederation. In addition, the synod examined annual reports on the principal activities and events of the Primatial Abbey of Sant’Anselmo, Pontifical Athenaeum of Sant’Anselmo, and Collegio Sant’Anselmo. Their meetings were punctuated by daily celebrations of Lauds, Mass and Vespers with the community of Saint Scholastica.
The following is a short list of the important issues that were discussed:
• Status reports of the congregations delivered by the abbots president;
• Status reports from the Athenaeum’s Rector Fr. Bernhard Eckerstorfer, the Collegio’s Prior Fr. Mauritius Wilde and Sant’Anselmo Treasurer Fr. Geraldo Gonzalez y Lima;
• New legal procedures such as dispensation, exclaustration, brothers as superiors, etc. delivered by Abbot Franziskus Berzdorf;
• Reflection and discussion regarding the procedures for updating the data of the Congregations / Catalogus;
• Report: Commission for the revision of the Regolamento Economico, i.e., the Economic Regulations of Sant’Anselmo;
• Report on the Communio Internationalis Benedictinarum by Sr. Lynn McKenzie;
• Report on the developments in the Benedictine Liturgical Calendar by Abbot Jeremias Schröder; and a
• Discussion of the procedures for the 2024 Congress of Abbots.