AIM has as its principal task to make known the life and needs of monastic communities.
AIM responds to these needs by supporting communities in their birth, growth, development, trials and difficulties.
AIM stimulates reflection on the challenges facing contemporary monastic life in fields such as education, poverty, environmental issues, justice and peace.
The objective of AIM is to promote the human, cultural, and religious development of monasteries throughout the world, and of their surrounding populations. It is also an organisation facilitating reflection amongst communities living under the Rule of St. Benedict.
- AIM promotes co-operation and solidarity amongst monasteries throughout the world.
- AIM contributes to human, spiritual and cultural formation by providing scholarships, seminars, books, equipment and grants for construction and development.
- AIM initiates and supports networking between monasteries at regional and international levels.
- AIM helps in obtaining financial assistance for projects through contacts with organisations dedicated to evangelisation and development.
- The Bulletin of the AIM, published in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish, provides a forum for the exchange of information and discussion on monastic life today and in the future.